Connect with us

Education

Liverpool teacher shortlisted for $1m global teacher prize

global teacher prize

Liverpool teacher shortlisted for $1m global teacher prize

A UK PE teacher who has pioneered new ways of teaching sports to visually impaired children at a special needs school in Liverpool has been shortlisted for this year’s prestigious global teacher prize.

David Swanston, a teacher at St Vincent’s school, is in the final 10 out of 8,000 nominations and applications for this year’s $1m (£730,000) award, which is intended to showcase the work teachers do preparing young people for their future. It is funded by the Varkey Foundation and endorsed by Unesco.

He is joined by Elliott Lancaster, a 24-year-old postgraduate student at Keele University, who is shortlisted for the first Chegg.org global student prize, a sister award that rewards exceptional achievements in learning and extracurricular activity, with a $100,000 prize.

Swanston has taught children with visual impairments for more than a decade at St Vincent’s, which is a specialist school for children with sensory impairments. In 2020 he was appointed deputy principal.

Swanston specialises in PE but teaches a range of subjects including geography and art. He pioneered techniques to enable students with visual impairments to participate in sports, since they on average accumulate less than half the recommended 60 minutes of moderate daily activity. Several of his students have gone on to become Paralympians.

His work has included modelling techniques and examples to enable blind students to understand how sports pitches are laid out. He is developing a version of rugby specifically for blind children, which uses textures and electronics to model game play and create ball prototypes.

If he wins the global teacher prize, Swanston plans to use the funds to support physical activity, horticulture and wellbeing programmes at the neighbouring Alder Hey children’s hospital, as well as to develop inclusive and blind ice hockey across the UK. He will also use the funds to support his charity, Sightbox, which aims to improve access to adapted sport for visually impaired students in developing countries.

Lancaster is a postgraduate student at Keele University and a sustainability campaigner. In 2016 he established a social enterprise app in Newcastle-under-Lyme called Utter Rubbish, which updates local residents on recycling policies in their local area. There are now plans to roll out the service in other local councils. He has also set up a network of sustainability volunteers, who lobby for organisations to become carbon neutral.

In his academic work, Elliott has published two award-winning studies looking at interdisciplinary learning and the impact of coronavirus on blended learning.

Sunny Varkey, the founder of the Varkey Foundation, said Swanston and Lancaster’s nominations “highlight the importance of education in tackling the great challenges ahead – from climate change to growing inequality to global pandemics”.

The education secretary, Nadhim Zahawi, congratulated Swanston and Lancaster on their nominations. He said that after a recent meeting with Lancaster he had been “so impressed by his passion and commitment to issues like sustainability”, and he praised Swanston for his “innovation” and “inspirational work”.

The winners of both prizes will be announced on 10 November in a virtual ceremony hosted at Unesco’s headquarters in Paris.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

fifteen − 1 =

Education

NECO Releases 2022 SSCE Results

The National Examinations Council has released the 2022 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination results.

This was announced by NECO Registrar, Prof. Dantani Wushishi, on Thursday at the NECO Headquarters in Minna, Niger State.

Wushishi added that the council blacklisted 29 supervisors for their alleged involvement in various malpractice offences.

He also said four schools were recommended for de-recognition for two years over consistent malpractices.

Wushishi further disclosed that the council recorded a decline in malpractice in the 2022 internal senior school certificate examinations as against other years.

“In the area of malpractices, 13, 595 were caught as against 20, 003 in year 2021, which showed appreciable decline in number of malpractices cases.”

“Twenty nine supervisors were blacklisted for various offended ranging from poor supervision, insult, aiding and abetting during the examinations”.

Dantani gave the number of candidates that registered for the Examinations as 1, 209, 703 while 1, 198, 412 sat for the examination.

He further stated that the number of candidates who got five credits and above, including English Language and Mathematics is 727, 864 representing 60.74 per cent.

 

Continue Reading

Education

UNIBEN Announces Post UTME Dates

The University of Benin has fixed dates for its Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry screenings for 2022/2023 session.

The Registrar of the University, Mr Ademola Bobola gave the notice on Wednesday in Benin, saying the examinations and screening would hold between Nov. 14 and Nov. 25.

Bobola said that the screening would be conducted in designated centres at the Ugbowo main campus of the institution, using the Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode.

“Only candidates, who applied through JAMB for the 2022/2023 UTME and direct entry admission and chose University of Benin as first choice and scored 200 and above for UTME candidates, are eligible for this screening exercise,” the registrar said.

Bobola, however, referred admission seekers to the institution’s official website http://www.uniben.edu for further details.

Continue Reading

Education

Court Strikes Out NANS Suit Against ASUU

A suit filed by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to compel the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to call off the ongoing strike has on Tuesday been struck out by the National Industrial Court.

In the ruling, the judge, Justice Polycarp Hamman terminated further proceedings in the matter after it was withdrawn by the claimant, Umar Lawal.

From facts, Lawal had filed the suit which was mentioned on Sept.16, for himself and on behalf of NANS against the Minister of Education, ASUU and the Attorney-General of the Federation.

However, when the matter slated for hearing came up on Tuesday, Lawal notified the court that he had filed a motion for discontinuance.

He added that he premised his decision to withdraw the suit on account of the challenge by NANS which contested his position as its president in the affidavit he had deposed to.

After Lawal submitted his application, the court asked if Marshal Abubakar, counsel to ASUU, had any objection, he informed the court that he was not opposed to Lawal’s application to withdraw the suit.

The other defendants, however, had no legal representation in court.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending