Connect with us

Education

No Response From Federal Govt, Says ASUU

Federal

Ultimatum: No response from Federal Govt, says ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Tuesday said the ultimatum it issued in July did not elicit any response from the Federal Government.

The National President of ASUU, Professor Emmanuel Oshodeke, in an interview with one of our correspondents, stated that government had not implemented the agreement it reached with the union nor responded to the ultimatum.

The union had on July 19 issued a fresh ultimatum to the Federal Government to pay the outstanding 10-month arrears of its members’ salaries or be prepared for another industrial action.

The union gave government till August 31 to meet its demands including the resolution of issues relating to the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System platform.

Between September 10 and September, 2021, all ASUU zones across the country held press conferences calling on the government to implement their demands.

They also asked Nigerians to hold the Federal Government responsible if the university lecturers embarked on another strike.

Responding to enquiries on Tuesday, ASUU president said, “Nothing yet, not a single response from the government. For now, we are in Abuja we are meeting soon. No single response from the government. We are meeting this weekend in Abuja. We want to see what we can do between now and Friday to see them. Despite the letter we wrote to them and the press conferences, they are not bothered because nothing is at stake for them.”

The union had accused the government of not implementing the agreement it signed with lecturers in December 2020.

In March 2020, ASUU embarked on a strike action following its disagreement with the Federal Government over the funding of the universities, the IPPIS, implementation of the University Transparency Accountability Solution, funding and revitalisation of public universities, earned academic allowances, promotion arrears and renegotiation of 2009 ASUU-FGN Agreement

ASUU had several meetings with government over UTAS and all the above issues were approved with a promise of prompt implementation.

The Federal Government’s assurance of implementation, which was accompanied with the signing of a Memorandum of Action led to the call off of the strike on December 24, 2020 after government also agreed to exclude ASUU from IPPIS.

Speaking at the ASUU-Lagos zone press conference, zonal coordinator, Dr Adelaja Odukoya, said the arrogance with which government had continued to wish away the collective sacrifice of their members, students and parents on the struggles was frustrating.

Odukoya said government’s failure to ensure prompt renegotiation of the 2009 Agreement had consciously “sentenced” ASUU members “to agonising poverty, encouraged brain drain and criminally promoted falling standard of education in the country.”

FG not shunning ASUU, says minister
But in his response, the Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, denied claims by ASUU that the Federal Government had been shunning its leadership.

The minister, in an interview with one of our correspondents, said there was no way ASUU leaders would reach out the government and nobody would attend to them.

On some of the demands made by ASUU in its ultimatum issued to the government which has elapsed, Nwajiuba insisted that the National Universities Commission was working on them and announcement would be made once the assignment had been completed.

He said, “No one is shunning ASUU. Ask them who they reached out to. I picked your call, didn’t I?

“We have already said the NUC is working on the issues with the universities, once they are done, they will issue a statement.

“There is no way ASUU will reach out and nobody will attend to them.

“The message is simple. The NUC is working on the issues raised, the moment they are done, a statement will be issued to let everybody be aware of the situation on the ground.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

sixteen − eleven =

Education

NECO Releases 2022 SSCE Results

The National Examinations Council has released the 2022 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination results.

This was announced by NECO Registrar, Prof. Dantani Wushishi, on Thursday at the NECO Headquarters in Minna, Niger State.

Wushishi added that the council blacklisted 29 supervisors for their alleged involvement in various malpractice offences.

He also said four schools were recommended for de-recognition for two years over consistent malpractices.

Wushishi further disclosed that the council recorded a decline in malpractice in the 2022 internal senior school certificate examinations as against other years.

“In the area of malpractices, 13, 595 were caught as against 20, 003 in year 2021, which showed appreciable decline in number of malpractices cases.”

“Twenty nine supervisors were blacklisted for various offended ranging from poor supervision, insult, aiding and abetting during the examinations”.

Dantani gave the number of candidates that registered for the Examinations as 1, 209, 703 while 1, 198, 412 sat for the examination.

He further stated that the number of candidates who got five credits and above, including English Language and Mathematics is 727, 864 representing 60.74 per cent.

 

Continue Reading

Education

UNIBEN Announces Post UTME Dates

The University of Benin has fixed dates for its Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry screenings for 2022/2023 session.

The Registrar of the University, Mr Ademola Bobola gave the notice on Wednesday in Benin, saying the examinations and screening would hold between Nov. 14 and Nov. 25.

Bobola said that the screening would be conducted in designated centres at the Ugbowo main campus of the institution, using the Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode.

“Only candidates, who applied through JAMB for the 2022/2023 UTME and direct entry admission and chose University of Benin as first choice and scored 200 and above for UTME candidates, are eligible for this screening exercise,” the registrar said.

Bobola, however, referred admission seekers to the institution’s official website http://www.uniben.edu for further details.

Continue Reading

Education

Court Strikes Out NANS Suit Against ASUU

A suit filed by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to compel the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to call off the ongoing strike has on Tuesday been struck out by the National Industrial Court.

In the ruling, the judge, Justice Polycarp Hamman terminated further proceedings in the matter after it was withdrawn by the claimant, Umar Lawal.

From facts, Lawal had filed the suit which was mentioned on Sept.16, for himself and on behalf of NANS against the Minister of Education, ASUU and the Attorney-General of the Federation.

However, when the matter slated for hearing came up on Tuesday, Lawal notified the court that he had filed a motion for discontinuance.

He added that he premised his decision to withdraw the suit on account of the challenge by NANS which contested his position as its president in the affidavit he had deposed to.

After Lawal submitted his application, the court asked if Marshal Abubakar, counsel to ASUU, had any objection, he informed the court that he was not opposed to Lawal’s application to withdraw the suit.

The other defendants, however, had no legal representation in court.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending