Connect with us

Education

Senate Mandates NIMC, Education Ministry To Review Policy On NIN Registration For Students

The Senate on Tuesday mandated the Ministry of Education, the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), and the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to review the implementation of the National Identity Number (NIN) policy.

According to the Senate, this was with the aim of extending the JAMB registration deadline or suspending this requirement for prospective students until there is a seamless and well-organised process for obtaining the NIN.

This resolution was sequel to a Point of Order raised by Sen. Ifeanyi Ubah (YPP-Anambra) during plenary.

The motion is titled “The need to address the untold hardship caused by the introduction of NIN as compulsory requirement for JAMB registration”.

Another resolution of the upper chamber was a mandate on the Ministry of Education and NIMC to introduce and streamline a simple and decentralised NIN registration process where students would be able to obtain their NIN in their various accredited school premises.

Ripples Nigeria had reported that the JAMB recently made NIN mandatory for students seeking admission into universities of their choice.

Raising Orders 42 and 52 of the Senate Standing Rules, Ubah said the action ” is inconsiderate and a premature decision”.

He said “For JAMB to include NIN as a precondition for registration of UTME candidates in 2021 is inconsiderate.

”This action is an inconsiderate and premature decision that has further complicated the already rigorous process of both registering for JAMB examination and procuring the NIN.

“JAMB initially attempted to start the implementation of this policy in 2020/but had to postpone it owing to technical problems and irregularities bedeviling the process of obtaining NIN from NIMC.

”From all indications, these technical hitches are yet to be addressed; the long queues at NIMC centres are a testimony to the fact that a well-organised process is yet to be put in place to ease the stressful process of registration.

“The board (JAMB) already has enough logistical and technical problems to tackle.”

Seconding the motion, Sen. Uche Ekwunife (PDP-Anambra) said it was a very straightforward motion and apt.

“This has come when we have to show concern for what is happening on students presenting NIN before they are registered for JAMB.

“Mr President, remember that the whole of last year was taken over by COVID-19 and that restricted a lot of movement and it made it impossible for many students to have access to NIN.

“Telling our students now that they cannot register for WAEC and GCE because they do not have NIN is actually very insensitive on the part of JAMB and NECO.

“Mr President I want to state very clearly that the awareness on NIN has not been felt. There is no public enlightenment, many people don’t even understand what NIN stands for.

“The awareness has not been taken to the grassroots; the enlightenment has not been taken to schools; it has not been taken to universities and tertiary institutions.

“Therefore many children and many students don’t even know the need for them to have the NIN, they don’t even know that the NIN is a requirement for them to participate in NECO and GCE.

“Schools should not make NIN as a requirement for participation in any examination,” Ekwunife said.

The resolutions were unanimously adopted by the senators after a Voice Vote by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five × two =

Education

Plateau Lecturers Threaten Strike Over Unpaid Salaries

Lecturers in tertiary institutions owned by the Plateau government have threatened to embark on an indefinite strike over non-payment of salaries.

The lecturers, under the aegis of the Joint Union of Academic Staff of the Plateau-Owned Tertiary Institutions (JUASPTI), also accused the state government of failing to honour agreements reached with the union.

Mr Lawam Deban, JUASPTI Chairman, issued the threat in a press conference on Friday in Jos.

“If government fails to meet our demands, the union will declare an indefinite strike on Dec. 31.

”We signed an agreement with goverment on Aug. 23, which led to the suspension of the strike we started on June 17.

”Unfortunately, goverment has failed to meet its obligation in the areas of non-implementation of promotion arrears from 2021 to 2022.

“It has also failed in the area of non-implementation of third party deduction from August to date, and non-regular payment of salaries,” he claimed.

Deban said that the union had written two letters to the state government dated Nov. 10 and Dec. 5, respectively, without any positive response.

”Worried by the non-regular payment of salaries, we wrote goverment two different letters where we clearly stated that we will not be able to guarantee industrial harmony should it fail to comply to the agreement.

”But, it is obvious that the state goverment does not want to toe the line of honour.

“As a union, we have given it enough consideration and respect, but it has failed to reciprocate by reneging on some aspects of the agreement.

”So, we shall be left with no option than to withdraw our services if the government fails to honour the Aug. 23 agreement before Dec. 31,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Obi Vows To Stop ASUU Strikes If Elected President

Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi has said that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) will not embark on industrial action if he is elected president.

Obi spoke at a campaign rally in Owerri, the Imo state capital city, on Tuesday.

The former governor of Anambra said the future of any serious country is dependent on education and health, adding that he would invest in the two sectors.

“If you make me your president and Datti my vice, ASUU won’t go on strike. We will dialogue with them.We will work with the student

“The future of any serious country is dependent on their education and health sectors. I will invest hugely in those sectors if you elect us”, he said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Education

“We Were Not Part Of Strike”, CONUA Vows To Sue F.G Over Withheld Salaries

Rival Academic union, Congress of University Academics has expressed its disappointment with the Federal Government, especially the Ministry of Labour and Employment, over the non-payment of its members’ withheld salaries “even when the government knew that the union did not call for strike action and its members were not involved in the strike action that lasted for eight months and which shut down the university system nationwide.”

In statement on Tuesday by its National President, Secretary and Publicity Secretary, Dr Niyi Sunmonu, Dr Henry Oripeloye and Dr Ernest Nwoke, respectively, CONIA  argued that it was wrong for the FG to lump CONUA with members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities who went on eight months strike between February and October, 2022.

The new union of lecturers thereby viewed to sue FG for withholding its members’ salaries.

The statement partly read, “CONUA formally made its non-involvement in the strike known to the Federal Government in a letter addressed to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, in April 2022.

“In the letter, we made it clear that because CONUA constituted a separate and independent union in the university system, our members did not call for any strike. This was followed by a Press Conference in Abuja on August 19, 2022 at which it was categorically stated that CONUA was not part of any ongoing strike, and that the “No Work No Pay” principle ought not to apply to members of the union.

“CONUA’s expectation is that, due to the express and categorical declaration, the government would seamlessly release our members’ outstanding salaries when it resumed the payment of salaries to all university staff in October 2022. But to our dismay, CONUA members were also paid pro-rata salaries in complete disregard to the fact that we were indeed shut out of duties by the strike.

“Subsequently, we wrote to the Accountant-General of the Federatıon and the Ministry of Labour and Employment reminding them that it was an error to lump our members with those that declared and embarked on strike action. It was yet another shock for the outstanding backlog of salaries not to have been paid to our members along with the November 2022 salary.”

CONUA said the non-payment of “our withheld salaries” contravenes Section 43 (1b) of the Trade Disputes Act CAP. T8, which stated that “where any employer locks out his workers, the workers shall be entitled to wages and any other applicable remunerations for the period of the lock-out and the period of the lock-out shall not prejudicially affect any rights of the workers being rights dependent on the continuity of period of employment.”

“This provision is consistent with global best practices,” it added.

“From the foregoing and as a law-abiding union that pledged to do things differently, we have resolved to seek legal redress of the illegal withholding of our legitimate salaries by taking the matter to court in consonance with the rights enshrined in our laws,” the union said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending