Connect with us

News

Trial of Fubara’s loyalists on terrorism charges moved to March 19

The trial of five loyalists of Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara on terrorism charges has been shifted to March 19 by the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Meanwhile, the defendants have been returned to Kuje Prison in Abuja on remand having been denied bail by the court on account of the gravity of charges against them.

The Court on Tuesday, shifted the trial following information by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Lukman Fagbemi, SAN, that the Inspector General of Police filed a counter affidavit that raised serious issues against his clients.

The five men charged with terrorism offences by the IGP, are Chime Eguma Ezebalike; Prince Lukman Oladele; Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa; Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod.

At Tuesday’s proceedings, Fagbemi told the court that he had filed a motion on notice challenging the competence of the terrorism charges and the territorial jurisdiction of the court to entertain the charge.

He, however, said that the Inspector General of Police responded to his motion through a counter affidavit that raised grievous allegations against his clients.

The senior lawyer submitted that the counter affidavit was served on him during the proceedings and that he needed time to study the affidavit and respond to it appropriately.

The Inspector General of Police, who was represented at the proceedings by Aliyu Garba, admitted that he served the counter affidavit opposing the application of Fagbemi in the courtroom.

Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon after checking the case file found that the copy of the counter affidavit had not been served on the court.

Based on the request of Fagbemi, Justice Olajuwon shifted the trial to March 19 with an order for parties to file and exchange processes before the date to ensure unhindered proceedings.

The Inspector General of Police IGP had on January 25 slammed the terrorism charges on the defendants for allegedly invading, vandalizing and burning down Rivers State House of Assembly last year.

They were accused of committing the alleged terrorism offences during the wake of political upheaval that rocked Port Harcourt in October last year.

In the charges against them marked FHC/ABJ/CR/25/2024, police alleged that apart from burning down the State House of Assembly, some of them were said to have killed a Superintendent of Police, (SP) Bako Agbashim and five police informants at Ahoada community of the state.

The police informants said to have been killed by the defendants are Charles Osu, Ogbonna Eja, Idaowuka Felix, Paul Victor Chibuogu and Saturday Edi.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lagos clampdown on illegal estate development

The Lagos State Government has clamped down on illegal estate developments around the Epe corridor of the state.

The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Oluyinka Olumide, said this in a statement on Saturday in Lagos.

He stated that he led a special joint exercise to the axis on Thursday and Friday, based on the directive of the state executive council.

He mentioned some of the areas covered during the exercise to include: Alaro City, Okorisan, Igbodu, Molajoye, Shaala, Ketu, and Epe.

Olumide said notices were also served on estate developments such as Patriot Bay Estate, Smart City Estate, the Legend and Hilton Royal Garden.

Others are Greenland Estate, Legacy City, Isinmi Lagos, Dominion City, Topview Estate, and Ibi Alafia, among others.

He pointed out that erring estate developers were requested to visit relevant authorities to perfect their documents.

According to him, under no circumstances should any developer go ahead to start the development of estates without obtaining layout approval, planning permit, and fencing permit as may be required.

The commissioner added that the requirements were necessary to ensure the attainment of an organised, livable and sustainable built environment.

Olumide explained that layout approval was required for proper arrangement of the estate to give room for appropriate services and infrastructure, while the planning permit addressed the planning requirements on individual plots in the estate.

He urged property up-takers and buyers to be wary of investing in estates without approval, to avoid needless embarrassment from government officials.

Continue Reading

News

Police detain ADC to Fmr. Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello

The aide-de-camp (ADC) to former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, has been arrested and detained by the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).

The Female police officer and others were arrested days after the former governor evaded arrest by EFCC operatives on Wednesday, April 17.

The officers were taken into custody on suspicion of aiding and abetting Bello’s escape from EFCC operatives.

The anti-graft agency had stormed Bello’s house to arrest him over allegations of money laundering and financial misconduct while in office.

The Nigeria Police Force has yet to release an official statement regarding the arrests, but police sources say the officers could face charges related to obstruction of justice or conspiracy to hinder a law enforcement operation.

Continue Reading

News

Zamfara govt suspends commandant state security outfit over allegations of poor funding

The Zamfara State Government has suspended the Commandant of the local security outfit, Community Protection Guards, CPG, Colonel Rabiu Garba (retd).

This is contained in a statement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Mallam Abubakar Nakwadahe and made available to newsmen in Gusau, the State capital.

The statement said in part, “This is to inform the general public that, Zamfara State government has suspended Colonel Rabiu Garba as Commandant of the state Community Protection Guards”.

“The suspension takes immediate effect”.

According to DAILY POST no reason for his suspension was given but it was gathered that the suspension may not be unconnected with the radio live program he granted where he accused the state government of poor funding of the Community Protection Guards.

In a radio live program at the Vision FM radio Gusau, Colonel Garba said the state government has failed to give financial support to the Protection Guards.

He lamented that since their inauguration, the state government has not provided them with any takeoff grant.

Garba also said the officials of the protection guards were paid their salary only once since they were appointed four months ago.

He said members of the Community Protection Guards have been suffering from poor funding from the state government, a situation which he said has been crippling their activities in the fight against banditry.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending