News

El-Rufai Made Open Confession on Tapped NSA Call, Prosecution Witness Tells Court

The trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged treason and breach of national security resumed on Tuesday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, where a prosecution witness told the court that the National Security Adviser and the ICPC chairman confirmed the authenticity of a conversation allegedly referenced by the ex-governor.

The prosecution played before the court a 43-minute television interview in which El-Rufai allegedly claimed that a private conversation involving the NSA had been intercepted and forwarded to him.

The former governor is facing an amended five-count charge over alleged unlawful interception of communications and threats to national security. The Federal Government, through the Department of State Services, accused him of unlawfully intercepting communications contrary to the Cybercrimes Act.

According to the prosecution witness, investigators interviewed the NSA, who reportedly confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai took place between him and the ICPC chairman. The witness added that the ICPC chairman also confirmed the discussion after portions of the interview were played to him.

In the broadcast presented in court, El-Rufai allegedly defended the interception by arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

The prosecution further told the court that the programme’s anchor, a lawyer, and a cameraman were invited for questioning as part of the investigation. Statements obtained from them were admitted in evidence without objection from the defence.

The prosecution witness stated that investigators concluded from the interview that El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” concerning the interception of the NSA’s conversation, adding that the act was considered capable of undermining national security.

However, under cross-examination, the witness admitted that investigators neither examined any communication devices belonging to the NSA nor obtained IP addresses or conducted forensic analysis relating to the alleged interception. The witness maintained that such steps became unnecessary after the NSA reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation.

He also agreed that El-Rufai never expressly stated during the interview that he personally carried out the interception, but insisted that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.

Following the conclusion of cross-examination, the judge adjourned further hearing in the case until June 22 and 23.

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version