News

Hoodlums Reportedly Attack Gov Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The attack triggered an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Governor Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the monarch, following his receipt of the Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo.

It was gathered that Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of INEC, where he received the certificate confirming his re-election.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack, saying the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, adding that Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers, adding that the governor had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives.

She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots.”

According to the eyewitness, the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna Space Bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo, while the exchange of gunfire lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.

She added, “The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers might have learnt about Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival, adding that they allegedly damaged the palace’s main gate during the incident.

She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna Space Bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace.”

Munirat further alleged that the attackers engaged the governor’s security personnel near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road. The incident caused panic as traders and residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety.

Sporadic gunshots were still reportedly heard around the area as of 4:45pm, while some business owners shut their shops amid security concerns.

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version