Connect with us

Education

FG’s no-work-no-pay policy prolonging ASUU strike -Minister

ASUU’s six-month salaries demand stalling negotiations – FG

The federal government on Thursday insisted that it will not concede to the demand by the members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities to be paid the backlog of salaries withheld during the ongoing strike.

It described the no-work-no-pay policy as the only hindrance in the FG-ASUU negotiations.

The Minister of Education,  Adamu Adamu, stated this at the 47th session of the State House Ministerial Media Briefing organised by the Presidential Communications Team at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

“All contentious issues between the government and ASUU had been settled except the quest for members’ salaries for the period of strike to be paid, a demand that Buhari has flatly rejected,” Adamu explained.

He argued that ASUU went on strike despite the Buhari regime and agencies such as TETFUND and UBEC directly investing trillions of naira in education.

Adamu also disclosed that five of the six striking university-based unions will likely return to work within the next one week, whereas ASUU’s remains uncertain.

According to him, the FG rejected ASUU’s demand to be paid the backlog of emoluments for the past five months because it believes that there should be penalties for their actions.

He, however, noted that consultations were still ongoing among ASUU members to determine when to call off the strike.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

two × five =

Education

NECO Releases 2022 SSCE Results

The National Examinations Council has released the 2022 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination results.

This was announced by NECO Registrar, Prof. Dantani Wushishi, on Thursday at the NECO Headquarters in Minna, Niger State.

Wushishi added that the council blacklisted 29 supervisors for their alleged involvement in various malpractice offences.

He also said four schools were recommended for de-recognition for two years over consistent malpractices.

Wushishi further disclosed that the council recorded a decline in malpractice in the 2022 internal senior school certificate examinations as against other years.

“In the area of malpractices, 13, 595 were caught as against 20, 003 in year 2021, which showed appreciable decline in number of malpractices cases.”

“Twenty nine supervisors were blacklisted for various offended ranging from poor supervision, insult, aiding and abetting during the examinations”.

Dantani gave the number of candidates that registered for the Examinations as 1, 209, 703 while 1, 198, 412 sat for the examination.

He further stated that the number of candidates who got five credits and above, including English Language and Mathematics is 727, 864 representing 60.74 per cent.

 

Continue Reading

Education

UNIBEN Announces Post UTME Dates

The University of Benin has fixed dates for its Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry screenings for 2022/2023 session.

The Registrar of the University, Mr Ademola Bobola gave the notice on Wednesday in Benin, saying the examinations and screening would hold between Nov. 14 and Nov. 25.

Bobola said that the screening would be conducted in designated centres at the Ugbowo main campus of the institution, using the Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode.

“Only candidates, who applied through JAMB for the 2022/2023 UTME and direct entry admission and chose University of Benin as first choice and scored 200 and above for UTME candidates, are eligible for this screening exercise,” the registrar said.

Bobola, however, referred admission seekers to the institution’s official website http://www.uniben.edu for further details.

Continue Reading

Education

Court Strikes Out NANS Suit Against ASUU

A suit filed by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to compel the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to call off the ongoing strike has on Tuesday been struck out by the National Industrial Court.

In the ruling, the judge, Justice Polycarp Hamman terminated further proceedings in the matter after it was withdrawn by the claimant, Umar Lawal.

From facts, Lawal had filed the suit which was mentioned on Sept.16, for himself and on behalf of NANS against the Minister of Education, ASUU and the Attorney-General of the Federation.

However, when the matter slated for hearing came up on Tuesday, Lawal notified the court that he had filed a motion for discontinuance.

He added that he premised his decision to withdraw the suit on account of the challenge by NANS which contested his position as its president in the affidavit he had deposed to.

After Lawal submitted his application, the court asked if Marshal Abubakar, counsel to ASUU, had any objection, he informed the court that he was not opposed to Lawal’s application to withdraw the suit.

The other defendants, however, had no legal representation in court.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending