Connect with us

Entertainment

Prince Harry and Meghan recruited by US ethical investment firm

Prince Harry and Meghan

Prince Harry and Meghan recruited by US ethical investment firm

Prince Harry and Meghan the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have added to their portfolio of jobs since stepping down as working members of the royal family last year, joining a US ethical money manager as “impact partners”.

Prince Harry and Meghan said they hoped their partnership with Ethic, which has $1.3bn of assets under management, would encourage more younger people to invest their money in sustainable companies.

“When we invest in each other we change the world,” the couple said in a statement. “Our choices – of how and where we put our energy – define us as a global community.

“We believe it’s time for more people to have a seat at the table when decisions are made that impact everyone. We want to rethink the nature of investing to help solve the global issues we all face. This is one of the ways we put our values in action.”

Ethic, which was founded in 2015, claims to only invest in “companies that treat people and the planet with respect”. The Sussexes have investments managed by Ethic and also invested directly in the fund manager earlier this year.

“Now they want to shine a light on how we can all impact the causes that affect our communities, bring transparency into how the corporate world sets the tone and shapes outcomes for everyday families, and believe that more people should have a seat at the table when it comes to making progress,” the company said in a press release. Ethic did not disclose how much the pair would be paid for their advice.

In an interview with the New York Times, which first reported the partnership on Tuesday, Meghan said: “My husband has been saying for years, ‘Gosh, don’t you wish there was a place where if your values were aligned like this, you could put your money to that same sort of thing?’”

Harry said he suspected young people in future would demand their money was invested in ethical companies. “You already have the younger generation voting with their dollars and their pounds, you know, all over the world when it comes to brands they select and choose from,” he said.

Ethic’s existing investors include Ashton Kutcher’s Sound Ventures and the investment fund Fidelity Investments.

The appointment is the latest in a long list of jobs the couple have taken on since stepping down as senior royals and moving to Los Angeles. In March, Harry was appointed “chief impact officer” at BetterUp, a Silicon Valley startup that provides professional coaching, mental health advice and “immersive learning”.

The company, which promises to deliver users of its mobile app “an all-round better life”, last week raised $300m in venture capital funding that valued the company at almost $5bn (£3.7bn), up from about $1bn when Harry joined in March.

The Sussexes have also signed multimillion-dollar deals to provide content for Netflix and Spotify. Their contract with Netflix, which is reportedly worth up to $122m, was to create “content that informs but also gives hope”.

Meghan is working with David Furnish on a Netflix animation series that “centres on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl who is inspired by a variety of influential women from history”. Harry is helping with the production of Heart of Invictus, a documentary that will follow competitors preparing to compete in the 2022 edition of his charity event for injured or sick armed service personnel.

For Spotify, the couple have produced a 30-minute podcast in which famous people talk about how they coped during lockdowns.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Sani Abacha was obsessed with me – Wole Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has recalled his experience during the regime of late dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha.

In an interview with TheNEWS to mark his 90th birthday, he said the former military president was ‘obsessed’ and ‘mad’ with him.

“I consider it a bit of a miracle that I managed to survive that period. Because Abacha was mad. He was obsessed. He was really obsessed with me. Many people paid heavy price simply because they were associated with Wole Soyinka, and they were available,” he said.

Soyinka shared a story about a driver who worked for Abacha and later approached his new boss, asking to meet Soyinka, the person who had given Abacha “such nightmares.” The driver had heard Abacha and his visitor discussing Soyinka and wanted to know the person behind the name that triggered such a strong reaction.

“A story which I told the other day at The Metropolitan Club in Lagos was one of my favourite stories. A driver who was now working for yet another military officer had worked for Abacha. And he heard the host and the visitor talking about Wole Soyinka. It was the host who told me the story.

He said, “After the visitor left, the driver went to his new boss and said, ‘excuse me sir, this Wole Soyinka you are talking about, is it the same one who my master used to talk about? Please, just do me one favour. I want to meet him.’ The boss said, Why do you want to meet him? ‘I want to know the person who gave my boss Sani Abacha such nightmares.’ He said, I want to know that person. Because anytime he heard the name Wole Soyinka, he went into a frenzy. Abacha was desperate.”

Soyinka also revealed that Abacha’s regime set up fake consulates and trading companies to trap and monitor him and others in Atlanta. He revealed that he had to be accompanied by policemen when flying out and returning due to security concerns.

“One was situated in Bayswater, where I used to stay, not far from where Muhammadu Buhari attempted to kidnap Umaru Dikko in the UK. It was purely to trap, to get hold of us. Several security units of police added us on their watch list. Afterwards, watching for us and for those who they were tracking. I wasn’t the only one.

“In Atlanta, they set up fake consulate. We fought to make sure that the consulate in Atlanta, where I was teaching at Emory University at the time was not set up. The envelope that passed to some of the city counsellors was heavy. They admitted it. By the way, you know that I am an honorary citizen of the state of Georgia. And so, our American friends told these stories on the day of my investiture about what happened.

“They eventually succumbed to the pressure to set up that consulate, that fake consulate. And the President of my university insisted— because he got his report from the secret service in the US— he insisted that any time I was flying out, I had to be accompanied by policemen. On returning, they would send the police to come pick me up right at the door of the plane. It was quite touching,” he said.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Alleged fraud, terrorism funding: Crypto billionaire, Linus Williams released from Police custody

Cryptocurrency billionaire Linus Williams, known as Blord, has been granted bail after spending three days in police custody.

Controversial self-proclaimed social media activist VeryDarkMan announced this on his Instagram page on Friday.

Olumuyiwa Adejobi, spokesperson for the Nigerian Police on Tuesday confirmed the arrest of Blood in a short statement he published on his X handle.

He said Blord was arrested because the Force Criminal Investigation Department, FCID in investigating allegations of internet fraud, computer-related fraud, terrorism funding,
and non-compliance with regulatory frameworks among others against him.

“The FCID (NPF-NCCC) is currently investigating complaints lodged against BLORD GROUP, BLORD REAL ESTATE LTD, BLORD JETPAYE LIMITED, and BILLPOINT TECHNOLOGY. These offences include allegations bothering on cryptocurrency fraud, aiding internet fraud, computer-related fraud, terrorism funding, and non-compliance with regulatory frameworks.

“We will do due diligence in our investigations. Our cyber space in Nigeria must be safe and secured by all means. We are committed to achieving that,” the Force Public Relations Officer said in the statement.

Adejobi did not elaborate on the nature of the crimes or whether police acted on complaints of alleged victims of Blord fraudulent activities.

However in an update on friday VeryDarkMan stated that Blord was released after much ‘begging and crying.’

“After much begging and crying, Blord is out. He will be returning next week to answer for all his alleged crimes. I believe the @npf_nccc will not compromise, and justice will be upheld. See you next week, Mr. Influential,” VeryDarkMan posted.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Despite stiff-person syndrome, Celine Dion to perform at 2024 Olympics

Celine Dion is contemplating a return to the spotlight despite battling a rare neurological disorder known as stiff-person syndrome, Metro UK reports

The iconic 56-year-old artiste has reportedly been offered a prestigious opportunity to perform at the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics despite the progression of her illness.The Canadian singer, known for her powerful voice, revealed she’d been diagnosed with the progressive neurological condition – that affects the muscles, causing stiffness and spasms – in 2022.

In spite of this, Celine has previously expressed her eagerness to return to live performances, which have been a cornerstone of her career.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending