Connect with us

Sports

Qatar 2022: Spain Sacks Manager, Enrique After Quarter Final Ouster

Spain sacked coach Luis Enrique on Thursday after the 2010 champions were dumped out of the World Cup by Morocco at the last-16 stage earlier this week.

“Both the president, Luis Rubiales, and the sporting director, Jose Francisco Molina, have told the coach their decision,” the Spanish FA said in a statement.

The federation said they wanted to thank Luis Enrique and his staff for their work, but had decided to start a “new project”.

“The sporting direction of the RFEF has given the president a report, in which it was determined that a new project should start for the national team, with the objective of continuing the growth achieved in the last few years thanks to Luis Enrique and his colleagues,” added the RFEF.

Spain hammered Costa Rica 7-0 in their opening game in Qatar but suffered a shock defeat by Japan that resulted in a second-place finish in Group E.

Spain were strong favourites to beat Morocco in the first knockout round but lost 3-0 on penalties after the game finished 0-0 following extra time.

“We dominated the game but we lacked a goal,” lamented Luis Enrique after the game.

“We could have been more effective in the final third, but I am more than satisfied with what my players did.

“They represented perfectly what my idea of football is.”

Spain last lifted a major trophy a decade ago at Euro 2012, while they have not won a single knockout game at the World Cup since triumphing in South Africa in 2010.

Luis Enrique took over in 2018 after Spain’s disappointing Russian World Cup showing, and led La Roja to the semi-finals of Euro 2020, where they were also beaten on penalties by Italy.

(AFP)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

In Last Minute Manoeuvering, Everton-bound Arnaut Danjuma Joins Tottenham

Arnaut Danjuma has been confirmed as a Tottenham Hotspur player just few moments after he had agreed a deal and passed a medical at Merseyside with Everton.

Danjuma joins Spurs on loan from Villarreal, marking their first signing of the January window, a deal hijacked by the North London club in a last-minute swoop.

The Netherlands international, who was not selected for the World Cup in Qatar, underwent a medical yesterday and will replace Lucas Moura in Conte’s squad.

The 25-year-old agreed a move that will see him spend the remainder of the 2022-23 campaign with Antonio Conte’s side.

Danjuma also confirmed his arrival at Spurs on social media with a tweet showing three pictures of him completing his move and tagging it with the club’s motto, saying: ‘To dare is to do. Let’s get to work.

Tottenham are also holding a crucial round of talks over a move for Sporting right wing-back Pedro Porro.

Spurs hope to close a deal for the 25-year-old, but Sporting are holding out for his £39.5million release clause.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Relegation-threatened Everton Sack Manager, Frank Lampard

Everton have announced the sack of manager  Frank Lampard following the Toffees’  Premier League loss to West Ham this past weekend.

In the so-called “El Sackico” match, Lampard’s team lost to the Hammers 2-0 at the London Stadium.

Daily Mail reported on Monday that due to the outcome, which left Everton two points from safety in the Premier League’s relegation zone, the club’s under-pressure board decided to fire Lampard.

Following the loss, owner Farhad Moshiri met with other board members in the capital.

He had made a rare appearance at the West Ham game where he bizarrely claimed it was “not his decision” to fire Lampard. Following those talks, a choice was made regarding Lampard’s future.

The departure of the manager won’t likely calm the Toffees’ fan base, either, as they have recently been criticizing those in authority for what they see to be years of making bad decisions.

Nuno Espirito Santo, who is presently in charge of Saudi Arabian team Al-Ittihad and was previously the manager of Wolves and Tottenham, is one candidate being considered to replace Lampard.

Sean Dyche, who is unemployed after leaving Burnley at the end of last season, has also been mentioned as a potential candidate.

Continue Reading

Sports

Court Orders Remand Of Brazil Star, Dani Alves

A Spanish judge has ordered that Brazil football player Dani Alves be jailed on remand without bail following an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a Barcelona nightclub.

According to the regional court system on Friday, the 39-year-old who has denied any wrongdoing was taken to the Brians 1 jail outside Barcelona.

Earlier on Friday, Alves appeared before a Barcelona judge after local police detained and questioned him.

The public prosecutor had requested he be jailed without bail pending trial.

Alves’ representatives did not respond to a request for comment.

His Mexican club Pumas UNAM announced they had terminated his contract with immediate effect.

“The club reiterates its commitment to not tolerate acts by any member, whoever they may be, that go against the club’s spirit and its values,” Pumas sporting president Leopoldo Silva said.

“We cannot allow the conduct of one person to damage our work philosophy, which has been an example throughout history.

The alleged victim had filed a complaint earlier this month and the case remains open over a crime of sexual assault, Catalonia’s court system said in a statement.

Alves had said earlier this month that he was at the club with other people but denied any such behaviour.

“I was dancing and having a good time without invading anyone’s space,” he said.

“I don’t know who this lady is… How could I do that to a woman? ”

Alves played for FC Barcelona from 2008 to 2016 and briefly returned to the LaLiga team for the 2021/2022 season

He has played for the Brazil national team since 2006, making 126 appearances and scoring eight.

(Reuters)

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending