Connect with us

Entertainment

Shakira to face trial for tax fraud in Spain

Shakira to face trial for tax fraud in Spain

A Spanish judge on Tuesday approved a trial for Colombian pop singer Shakira on charges of tax fraud.

Spanish prosecutors accused the entertainer in 2018 of failing to pay 14.5 million euros ($13.9) in taxes on income earned between 2012 and 2014. Prosecutors are seeking an eight-year prison sentence and a hefty fine if she is found guilty of tax evasion.

Shakira, 45, has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and rejected a deal with authorities to avoid going to trial. Her public relations firm has said that she has already paid all that she owed and an additional 3 million euros ($2.8 million) in interest.

The date for the trial has yet to be set.

The case hinges on where Shakira lived during 2012-14. Prosecutors in Barcelona have alleged the Grammy winner spent more than half of that period in Spain and should have paid taxes in the country, even though her official residence was in the Bahamas.

Shakira, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, has been linked to Spain since she started dating soccer player Gerard Pique. The couple, who have two children, used to live together in Barcelona but recently ended their 11-year relationship.

Spain has cracked down on soccer stars like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo over the past decade for not paying their full due in taxes. Both players were found guilty of evasion and received prison sentences that were waived for first-time offenders.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × five =

Entertainment

Ace Performer, Celine Dion Cancels 2023 Shows Over Battle With Incurable Disease

Celine Dion, veteran Canadian music artiste has opened up on her battle with Stiff Person Syndrome, a neurological disorder that causes one’s muscles to tense uncontrollably.

The 54-year-old made the announcement in a video on her Instagram page on Thursday, where she disclosed that her 2023 shows had been moved to 2024.

She noted that the rare disease, which occurs in one in a million people, had caused her to have spasms.

The Power of Love singer said, “Hello everyone, im sorry it’s taken me so long to reach out to you. I miss you all so much and can’t wait to be on stage talking to you in person.

“As you know I’ve always been an open book and I wasn’t ready to say anything before but im ready now.

“I’ve been dealing with problems with my health for a long time and its been really difficult for me to face my challenges and to talk about everything that I’ve been going through.

“Recently, I’ve been diagnosed with a very rare neurological disorder called the stiff person syndrome which affects 1 in a million people

“While we’re still learning about this rare condition, we now know this is what’s been causing all the spasms I’ve been having.”

The caption of the video read, “Celine Dion reschedules Spring 2023 shows to 2024,and cancels eight of her summer 2023 shows.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sammie Okposo For Burial December 15

The funeral arrangements for gospel singer, Sammie Okposo, have been released by his family.

The singer died in November 25 aged 51.

The family stated that a tribute night will be held for him on Tuesday, December 13 in Lagos State, followed by a service of songs on Wednesday.

The funeral service for Okposo will take place on December 15 and will be private affair.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Defend Your Votes At Polling Units- Charly Boy Urges Youths

Nigerian singer/songwriter, Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy, has called on the youths across the country to protect their votes at their polling units during the 2023 general elections.

Charly Boy, who made the call in an interview on the sideline of the ‘YellOut 4 Good Governance in Nigeria’ event on Friday in Abuja, said the ‘YellOut’ programme was a reawakening of the great Nigerian youths, adding that he is very happy and proud of the youths in the country.

“I have told them that the salvation of any country lies in the hands of the exceptional people; these people are the great Nigerian youths.

“They already know their rights, but my call to them is that they should stand and defend those right at the polling boots.

“However, the opposition wants to do it, I know that the boys are ready to give them back what they get. I don’t have chills in that area; all I can do is wish them well and pray for their safety.

“Nigeria is getting dangerous for my liking, and because of years of disunity and inaction, there are some sacrifices that need to be made and we are going to make these sacrifice,” Charly Boy said.

On the killing of Labour Party Woman Leader in Kaduna, Charly Boy said the old regime think they could still play by their own playbook.

According to the 72-year-old Port Harcourt-born actor and television presenter, the old regime don’t realise the revolution that is happening right now before their eyes, adding that they are in denial.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending