Connect with us

News

FG files terrorism charges against Miyetti Allah president

In compliance with the Federal High Court order, the Federal Government of Nigeria has filed terrorism charges against the detained President of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, Bello Bodejo.

In the terrorism charges dated March 12, Bodejo was accused of undermining the national security of Nigeria by establishing and arming an ethnic militia group without authorization.

Part of the charges read: “That you, Bello Bodejo, Male, Adult, on or before the 17th Day of January, 2024, at Lafia, Nasarawa State, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, committed to commit an offence to wit: you established an ethnic militia known as Kungiya Zaman Lafiya without authorization and thereby committed an act prejudicial to national security and public safety, an offence punishable under Section 29 of the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.”

Bodejo was arrested on January 23 at the Miyetti Allah’s office in Karu Local Government Area of Nasarawa State over the alleged unveiling and arming of a vigilante group.

The Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), filed a motion ex parte on February 5 seeking to remand Bodejo pending the conclusion of the investigation by DIA and his arraignment in court.

Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja had, upon the ex parte application, ordered that Bodejo be remanded for 15 days.

At the expiration of the 15 days on February 22, the judge gave the Federal Government seven days to file a charge against Bodejo.

However, at Wednesday’s proceedings, the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) in Abuja declined to produce the detained President of Miyetti Allah before the Federal High Court for arraignment.

Following the absence of the detainee in court, Justice Ekwo asked the counsel to the federal government, Y.A. Imana, if charges had been filed against Bodejo.

The judge said, “This court made an order that you should charge the detainee before a court of competent jurisdiction. Where is the evidence that you filed the charges before this court?”

The government lawyer, however, explained that the charge was filed yesterday, but the judge wondered why the charge was not before him.

At this point, Bodejo’s counsel, Mohammed Sheriff, informed the Court that he had filed an application seeking his client’s unconditional release from the Defence Intelligence Agency’s custody.

The counsel pleaded with the court to hear the bail application of his client.

He said, “Our bail application is dated February 26, 2024, and is seeking to admit the applicant to bail pending arraignment before a competent court.”

The prosecution counsel, Y.A Imana, however, vehemently objected to the request for bail of the detainee on the ground that charges against him have to do with undermining the national security of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and urged the court to dismiss the application.

She said, “We pray this court to dismiss the bail application of the detainee because it is a matter that touches on national security.”

Justice Ekwo, after taking arguments from lawyers, fixed March 22 for ruling on whether to grant the bail request or not.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

EFCC investigates more celebrities for naira abuse

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has said it is investigating several celebrities suspected of abusing the Naira.

This was revealed in a statement signed by EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, on Sunday.

“On the issue of the works of the Commission against Naira abuse, dollarization of the economy and the enforcement of all extant laws relating to them, the EFCC appreciates the avalanche of public awakening, support and involvement demonstrated so far.

“Increasingly, members of the public are drawing the attention of the Commission to video recording of abuse of the Naira by Nigerians from all walks of life.

“These gestures amply demonstrate rising consciousness of the public to the sanctity of our national currency and the need for collaborative engagement to sustain the tempo.

“To this end, the Commission will always investigate and prosecute anyone involved in the abuse of the Naira.

“Old videos being exhumed and flying around for the attention of the Commission are noted as the Commission is sensitive to the fact that its Special Task Force against Naira Abuse and Dollarization of the economy commenced operations on February 7, 2024. However, going forward, new videos of such infractions will be investigated and prosecuted.

“At the moment, the Commission is investigating several celebrities involved in Naira abuse. Many of them have made useful statements to the Commission and many more have been invited by investigators working on the matter.

“The EFCC will not relent in its no-sacred-cow mode of operations and the public should be wary of running afoul of laws against the crime.”

Recall that popular cross-dresser Idris Okuneye aka Bobrisky was sentenced to six months imprisonment for abusing the Naira.

Justice Abimbola Awogboro handed down the sentence without an option of fine.

Continue Reading

News

No one has been cleared in humanitarian ministry fraud investigation- EFCC

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, says it has not cleared anyone involved in the ongoing fraud investigation in the humanitarian affairs ministry.

Spokesperson of the commission, Dele Oyewale stated this in a statement tagged ‘Setting the Records Straight on Investigations of Humanitarian Ministry’ on Sunday.

According to him,  ongoing investigation have opened other fraudulent dealings involving Covid -19 funds, the World Bank loan, Abacha recovered loot released to the Ministry by the Federal Government to execute its poverty alleviation mandate.

The statement read;

“The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has noticed the rising tide of commentaries, opinions, assumptions and insinuations concerning its progressive investigations into the alleged financial misappropriation in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.

“At the outset of investigations, past and suspended officials of the Humanitarian Ministry were invited by the Commission and investigations into the alleged fraud involving them have yielded the recovery of N32.7billion and $445,000 so far.

“Discreet investigations by the EFCC have opened other fraudulent dealings involving Covid -19 funds, the World Bank loan, Abacha recovered loot released to the Ministry by the Federal Government to execute its poverty alleviation mandate.

“Investigations have also linked several interdicted and suspended officials of the Ministry to the alleged financial malfeasance.

“It is instructive to stress that the Commission’s investigations are not about individuals. The EFCC is investigating a system and intricate web of fraudulent practices.

“Banks involved in the alleged fraud are being investigated. Managing Directors of the indicted banks have made useful statements to investigators digging into the infractions.

“Those found wanting will be prosecuted accordingly. Additionally, the EFCC has not cleared anyone allegedly involved in the fraud. Investigations are ongoing and advancing steadily.

“The public is enjoined to ignore any claim to the contrary.”

Continue Reading

News

Junior Pope: NSIB launches investigation, sends team to accident site

The Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has launched an investigation into the boat accident that claimed the lives of Nollywood actor, Paul Odonwodo, popularly known as Junior Pope; Abigail Frederick; Precious Oforum, and Joseph Anointing, while returning from a movie location.

THN reported that the boat accident involved a commercial speedboat and a fishing canoe on the Anam River in Anambra State on Wednesday, April 10, 2024.

The boat carrying 12 film crew members and a boat operator reportedly crashed into the canoe, resulting in the loss of five lives.

Tthe director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, NSIB, Bimbo Oladeji in a statement on Sundat, said the Bureau has dispatched an investigation team to the accident site.

According to Oladeji, examination of the wreckage from both boats involved in the collision, interviews with surviving crew members, eyewitnesses, and a review of operational procedures for the commercial speed boat would be analysed, among others.

“The NSIB extends its deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in this heartbreaking accident.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Also, the director general of NSIB, Capt. Alex Badeh Jr, share in your grief and NSIB is fully committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine the cause of this tragedy and prevent similar occurrence in the future.

“An investigation team has been dispatched to the accident site, and inquiry has begun. The investigation scope includes, but is not limited to: examination of the wreckage from both vessels involved in the collision, interviews with surviving crew members, and eyewitnesses, review of operational procedures for the commercial speed boat, analysis of weather and environmental conditions at the time of the accident, and assessment of compliance with relevant safety standards and regulations for inland waterway transportation,” NSIB spokesperson said.

Oladeji further assured Nigerians that the Bureau will release the preliminary reports of the investigation to the public.

“NSIB will collaborate with relevant authorities, including the Marine Police section of the Anambra State Police Command, maritime authorities, and industry experts during the investigation.

“The bureau will release its findings in a preliminary report, followed by a final report upon the investigation’s conclusion. These reports aim to enhance safety by providing recommendations to prevent similar accidents in the future.Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the victims affected by the Anam boat mishap,” she added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending