Connect with us

International

Israeli PM Netanyahu to have hernia surgery under full anesthesia

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will have surgery under full anaesthesia for a hernia, his office said in a statement.

Netanyahu, 74, was diagnosed with a hernia during a routine examination on Saturday, March 30 and is scheduled to undergo the surgery at the end of business on Sunday, the statement read.

The surgery means Israel’s leader will be temporarily incapacitated with the nation at war with Hamas in Gaza following the October 7 attacks.

Israel’s deputy prime minister and justice minister, Yariv Levin, will step in for Netanyahu while he is incapacitated.

The operation will take place amid renewed talks between Israel and Hamas in Cairo, Egypt.

The negotiations to secure the release of the remaining Israeli hostages held by the militant group in exchange for a ceasefire in the conflict that has seen more than 32,000 Gazans killed had reached an impasse last week.

This is Netanyahu’s second surgery since returning to the premiership in late 2022. A health scare last year ended with the Israeli leader being fitted for a pacemaker to fix a transient heart block.

Netanyahu previously had a hernia in 2013 that also required surgery.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Development

Banks, Breweries, Foreign Companies Set To Storm 13th Gateway International Trade Fair

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State

Foreign companies from across West Africa have indicated interest in participating at this year’s Gateway International Trade Fair billed to take place between April 19 and April 29.
Also, stakeholders in the food, beverages, health, agriculture and other manufacturing sectors, banks, as well as players in small and medium scales businesses have also indicated their interest in booking pavilions and spaces at the Trade Fair Complex.
According to the organisers, companies like Leadway Assurance, Lafarge, International Breweries, Apples and Pears, Rite foods, Industrial Platform, Remo (Arise), GB foods, Bank of Industry (BOI), Gateway Mortgage Bank, Providus Bank, First Bank, Sterling Bank, Lotus Bank and several regulatory agencies, such as NAFDAC are expected at the exhibition.
The theme for this year’s event is “Achieving Economic Prosperity Through Business Connection, Trade and Investment.”
The Ogun State Government had assured of adequate security of lives and property during the event, while other logistics have been put in place to make the trade fair a world-class event.
President of the Ogun State Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (OGUNCCIMA), Engr. Mike Akingbade, while speaking on preparations so far, said his organisation has been working in tandem with the state government to ensure a hitch-free exercise.
He promised that the new innovations being introduced this year are geared towards ensuring that more participants attend the showpiece.
Special Adviser to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Industry, Oluyemisi Somorin-Dawodu, had earlier said that this year’s trade fair would be more than just the exhibition of products, adding that other economic and trade-related activities have been lined up to make the experience more worthwhile for participants.
According to her, new innovations such as a raffle draw with the grand prize of a two-bedroom bungalow and an entertainment village are expected to add glamour to the event.

Continue Reading

Development

Excitement builds as Ogun hosts international trade fair

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State

Few days to the commencement of the 13th Gateway International Trade Fair, excitement has continued to build across the Southwest geopolitical zone of Nigeria as stakeholders get prepared to storm Abeokuta, Ogun State for the much awaited yearly event.
The trade fair, which holds from April 19 and 29, 2024 at the M.K.O Abiola International Trade Fair Complex, Abeokuta, will also feature increased exhibitors and product offering as well as a more effective transportation system to ease movement of visitors to the Trade Fair Complex.
Preparations are well underway to welcome participants to the trade fair, according to the Special Adviser to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Industry, Oluyemisi Somorin-Dawodu, while speakng to journalists on the trade fair with the theme “Achieving Economic Prosperity Through Business Connection, Trade and Investment.”
Somorin-Dawodu added that this year’s trade fair is more than just the exhibition of products as a lot of other economic and trade-related activities have been lined up to make the experience more worthwhile for participants who will be coming from far and wide.
As part of the new innovations, residents of the state and other stakeholders will have the chance to win the grand prize of a two-bedroom bungalow in a raffle draw to be conducted during the Fair.
An entertainment village, expected to add more glamour to the event, while meeting the needs of visitors, has also been introduced by the organisers.
Somorin-Dawodu added that new innovations introduced into the event this year are generating excitement among stakeholders as the date draws closer.
She said that both the Ogun State Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (OGUNCCIMA), which organises the annual Trade Fair and the Ogun State government are working round the clock to give participants unforgettable experiences.
“We decided to make the Fair bigger and better. Among other innovations, we have introduced the raffle draw that will help to bring more people to the Trade Fair, and there will be daily prizes.
“The main prize is a two-bedroom bungalow. And we have also introduced the Entertainment Village where we are going to be selling drinks, food, etc. There will be good music and a live band,” the Special Adviser said.
Also speaking, OGUNCCIMA President , Engr. Mike Akingbade said more participants are being expected at the trade fair as a result of the new innovations introduced by the state government.
“I can tell you that we are working happily towards holding a more improved trade fair,” he said.

Continue Reading

International

US condemns terrorist attack in Moscow

The United States (U.S.) has condemned terrorists attack at a packed concert venue on the outskirts of Moscow, Russia.

At least 115 people have been confirmed dead and hundreds of others injured as gunmen opened fire on concert goers on Friday in Moscow.

The Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the dastardly attack, leaving families mourning their dead ones.

U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, in a statement on Saturday said the United States condemned the attack in Moscow.

Blinken sent U.S. condolence to the families and loved ones of those killed in the attack.

In his words: “The United States strongly condemns yesterday’s deadly terrorist attack in Moscow. We send our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those killed and all affected by this heinous crime.

“We condemn terrorism in all its forms and stand in solidarity with the people of Russia in grieving the loss of life from this horrific event.”

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending