Connect with us

Sports

Juventus Fined 10-point Deduction Over Accounting Breach

Juventus have been handed a 10-point deduction following a year-long investigation of improper transfer dealings.

The appeal court ruling, handed on Monday evening, sees Juventus, previously second with 69 points, drop to seventh on the Serie A table with 59 points.

The Turin-based giants were earlier handed a 15-point deduction for alleged financial irregularities and false accounting.

While the ban was temporarily lifted pending an appeal, the latest ruling places Juventus out of spots for the UEFA Champions League (UCL).

In a club statement released after the ruling, Juventus said it will appeal the verdict at the country’s national olympic committee (CONI), a body saddled with the responsibility to consider disciplinary decisions in sports.

“Juventus Football Club takes note of what was decided by the FIGC Court of Appeal and reserves the right to read the reasons to evaluate a possible appeal to the Guarantee Board at CONI,” the statement reads.

“What was established by the fifth instance of judgment in this matter, which began more than a year ago, arouses great bitterness in the club and in its millions of supporters who, in the absence of clear rules, find themselves extremely penalised with the application of sanctions that seem to take into account the principle of proportionality.

“While not ignoring the need for urgency, which Juventus has never shied away from during the proceedings, it is emphasised that these are facts that still have to be evaluated by a judge.”

Juventus have won the Italian Seria A on 36 occasions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Time Magazine Names Messi ‘Athlete of the Year’

Lionel Messi has been named Time magazine’s “Athlete of the Year” for 2023 after a trailblazing season marked by an eighth Ballon d’Or award and his ground-breaking move to Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami.

Time said the Argentine superstar had already had a transformative impact on the American sporting landscape, which has been historically slow to embrace football.

“Lionel Messi this year managed to do what once seemed impossible when he signed with Inter Miami: turning the US into a soccer country”, Time commented.

The 36-year-old Messi made his debut for Miami in July following an acrimonious departure from Paris Saint-Germain.

The World Cup winner also rebuffed a lucrative move to Saudi Arabia in favour of a new chapter in MLS.

The eight-time Ballon d’Or winner made an instant impact on Miami’s fortunes, playing a pivotal role in helping the team win the expanded Leagues Cup, a cross-border competition for teams from MLS and Mexico’s top flight.

Messi finished the campaign with 11 goals in 14 appearances across all competitions, but an injury towards the end of the season meant he was unable to help Miami force their way into the playoffs.

Messi was quoted by Time as saying that his first preference after PSG had been a fairytale return to Barcelona, but that move stalled over the club’s finances.

“I tried to return, and it did not happen”, Messi said, adding that he was also “thinking a lot” about joining the wave of overseas players who have headed to the Saudi Pro League.

“It was Saudi Arabia or MLS, and both options seemed very interesting to me”, Messi told the magazine.

Time said Messi’s arrival had driven a surge in attendance, ticket prices, merchandise sales and viewership, revealing that on the day of his debut, subscriptions to Apple TV – which retains exclusive rights to MLS – had jumped by 110,000, a 1,700% increase over the previous day

Continue Reading

Sports

CAF Set To Relocate Headquarters

CAF launches $100m Super League

For the second time in about 30 years, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) will be relocating its headquarters in Egypt.

At the moment, the continental football governing body is located at 6th October City, a suburb of the mega city of Cairo.

It relocated their in the early 1990s from Gabalaya area of the Cairo at the bank of the Nile River. However, Egyptian outlet, Ahram has reported that CAF has signed a cooperation protocol with the Egyptian Administrative Capital, along with the Egyptian Sports Ministry, to build a new headquarters for the football governing body.

Egypt’s Minister of Sports, Ashraf Sobhy, attended the signing ceremony on Thursday and expressed the country’s support for CAF’s plans for African football development.

In a statement released on Friday, Egypt’s sports ministry said, “The protocol outlines the establishment of a new headquarters for CAF, which will be relocated from the 6th of October City to the New Administrative Capital.”

According to the statement, the new CAF headquarters will be built on a 20-acre plot in the northern part of the R3 area in the New Administrative Capital.

The Administrative Capital company will be responsible for constructing the new headquarters, following the directives of the Egyptian president.

Sobhy emphasized Egypt’s commitment to supporting and developing African football, stating that the new headquarters would serve as a significant landmark in the New Administrative Capital.

“The relocation of CAF headquarters to the New Administrative Capital confirms Egypt’s status as the mecca of Africa and the world, showcasing its advancements in sports infrastructure,” said Egypt’s Minister of Sports.

Meanwhile, CAF President Patrice Motsepe praised Egypt’s role in football development on the continent and emphasized the importance of the New Administrative Capital and Egypt’s leadership in Africa.

My desire has always been to keep the CAF headquarters in Egypt, and it should remain in Egypt,” said Motsepe, as quoted in the statement from Egypt’s Ministry of Sports.

Motsepe further expressed the Confederation’s appreciation for the administrative capital by saying, “Building a new headquarters for CAF in east Cairo is a testament to the Confederation’s gratitude towards the administrative capital.”

The 61-year-old South African, Motsepe, extended his gratitude to the Egyptian people for their support and contributions to CAF over the years.

In February 2020, Egypt signed an agreement whereby Cairo will host the headquarters of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) for ten more years.

The agreement was signed by Minister of Youth and Sports Ashraf Sobhi and CAF former chief Ahmad Ahmad.

Continue Reading

Sports

Lebron James’ son, Bronny cleared to return to basketball four months after cardiac arrest

Bronny James is expected to resume his athletic career after medical officials cleared him to play basketball again, just four month after suffering cardiac arrest during a workout.

Recall that Bronny collapsed on the court during a workout on campus on July 24. It was later determined he had “an anatomically and functionally significant Congenital Heart Defect,” which caused the cardiac arrest.

In a statement released on Thursday, November 30, by a Lebron James family rep, it was stated that the 19-year-old hooper will have a final evaluation with USC staffers in the coming days before joining his teammates at practice next week.

It was added that once Bronny gets some practices under his belt, he will suit up for the Trojans “soon after.”

Bronny was sidelined for USC’s first seven games of the 2023-24 season, with the team going 5-2 in his absence. The Trojans play Gonzaga on Saturday, which means they’ll have at least one more game without #6. Based on the statement, it sounds like Bronny could make his debut either December 10 against Long Beach State … or a week later against Auburn.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending