News
‘Made-in-Nigeria’ Project Boss Denies Running Fake Agency, Presents Appointment Letter
The National Coordinator and Executive Director of the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, George Nwabueze, has rejected allegations that he operates a fake federal agency, insisting that the project office is a legitimate initiative under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF).
Nwabueze made the clarification following claims by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) that the office was operating without proper authorization and had been allocated space within the OSGF without presidential approval.
According to him, the Made-in-Nigeria Project Office has existed for over 16 years and functions as a project office under the OSGF. He questioned why concerns about its status were only being raised after years of operation.
To support his position, Nwabueze released a document dated October 3, 2025, which he said confirmed his appointment as National Coordinator and Executive Director of the project office. The letter, reportedly issued by the OSGF, stated that his appointment was approved for an initial five-year term beginning in July 2025.
The document outlined responsibilities including coordinating programmes aimed at promoting locally made products and services, overseeing state and regional coordinators, and organizing trade exhibitions and economic forums.
Another document released by Nwabueze showed that the project office had sought recognition as a Special Project within the OSGF. The proposal highlighted its role in promoting Nigerian products, attracting investment, supporting local industries, and reducing dependence on imports.
The controversy followed an ICPC investigation into the alleged Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, during which the anti-corruption agency said it uncovered the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office. The commission alleged that the office was operating without proper authorization and identified Nwabueze as its promoter.
However, documents and reports made public by Nwabueze indicate that the project had engaged with government officials and stakeholders across several states. One report quoted Nasarawa State Governor Abdullahi Sule as saying the state had adopted the Made-in-Nigeria initiative and incorporated it into its 2026 budget.
Meanwhile, an official within the OSGF reportedly disclosed that the office had been inactive for several months and was under investigation.
The development has raised questions about the legal status of the project office and the circumstances surrounding its establishment and operations. While anti-corruption authorities maintain that the office lacked proper authorization, Nwabueze insists it operated with official backing from the OSGF.
Efforts to obtain further clarification from relevant authorities were ongoing as of the time of filing this report.
