Connect with us

Security

Troops Have Made Contact with Oyo Kidnappers, Says Defence Headquarters

The Defence Headquarters announced on Tuesday that troops conducting search-and-rescue operations have made contact with the abductors of pupils and teachers in Oyo State, as the military deploys its full operational capacity to rescue the victims.

The military also dismissed rumours that terrorist groups have established permanent bases in the South-West, insisting that the recent attacks in Oyo State were isolated criminal incidents.

The development comes as military operations continue following the abduction of pupils and staff from three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

A defence spokesperson stated that troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago and have since reorganised to continue search and pursuit operations with full determination. He added that the armed forces are conducting intensive joint operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone.

He assured Nigerians, particularly residents of the South-West, that troops are actively deployed and operating within the forests in pursuit of the perpetrators and in search of the abducted victims. He noted that the military is engaging local communities for human intelligence, recognising that cooperation remains invaluable for the safe and swift recovery of the victims.

The spokesperson said the joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes would ensure that the forests are thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and lasting peace restored to the region. He vowed that the armed forces would not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered and the criminal networks responsible are dismantled.

The Chief of Defence Staff expressed condolences to the families of the victims, the government and people of Oyo State, describing the abduction of innocent children and staff as a callous and reprehensible act. He assured grieving families that the full weight of the armed forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of every victim.

Reacting to reports alleging the existence of a terrorist base in the region, the defence spokesperson said the attack was an isolated criminal incident and did not indicate any entrenched terrorist structure in the South-West. He noted that troops had previously conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, which significantly reduced the operational capacity of criminal elements in the area.

He added that current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South-West region, cautioning against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *