Connect with us

News

Hundreds gather for vigil in memory of Sabina Nessa

Sabina Nessa

Hundreds gather for vigil in memory of Sabina Nessa

About 200 people gathered on Tuesday evening for a vigil in memory of the schoolteacher Sabina Nessa, who was killed three weeks ago.

The vigil was held in Eastbourne, where the man suspected of her killing was arrested late last month.

Crowds gathered, as the sun set in front of the seaside town’s Victorian pier, to honour Nessa and protest over violence against women.

The 28-year-old teacher was killed as she walked to meet a friend at a pub near her home in Kidbrooke, south-east London.

The peaceful demonstration was punctuated by applause as those addressing the crowd at the seafront spoke out against victim-blaming.

Natasha Peacock, the co-organiser, said: “Sabina Nessa should still be alive. She was loved and she will be deeply missed.”

Nessa’s walk through Cator Park should have taken just five minutes but she never completed her journey. Her body was found almost 24 hours later, covered with leaves.

Tuesday’s darkening sky was lit with mobile phone lights in Nessa’s honour, with a minute’s silence held during the vigil. The event came amid mounting public outrage and continued debate over women’s safety and over policing in the UK.

Many of those attending held pictures of Nessa, while others carried signs calling out male violence, as well as remembering Sarah Everard.

One placard read: “When will women be safe?” while another read: “She was just walking home.”

Peacock said: “Women are frightened for their lives. We are having to consider the risk of going out alone past 6pm and potentially getting attacked, raped or murdered – and the advice to flag down buses does not make us feel safe.

“This is a crisis. We need to make the safety of women and girls a priority.”

The vigil lasted for about an hour, with various speakers addressing the crowd. At about 7pm, those gathered paused in thoughtful reflection as a Muslim prayer was read out.

Koci Selamaj was arrested in the East Sussex town in the early hours of 26 September and has been charged with Nessa’s murder.

During a court hearing last week, the 36-year-old’s lawyer indicated he will plead not guilty. Selamaj has been remanded in custody ahead of a plea hearing on 16 December.

Two other men, aged 38 and 41, who were also arrested by police investigating the teacher’s death have been released under investigation.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

eighteen + two =

News

2023: NBC Tasks Broadcasters On Professionalism

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has tasked broadcasters to handle political campaigns with professionalism.

The director-general of NBC, Balarabe Ilelah said this on Monday at a multi-stakeholders dialogue held in Abuja.

As campaigns for the 2023 elections are set to begin on September 28, Ilelah asked broadcasters to ensure not to allow hate speech or fake news on their platforms.

“This is in addition to ensuring equity in airtime allocation and coverage of political parties’ activities, particularly during prime times,” he said.

“It is also the time for you to make money from political adverts and campaigns, but ensure that this is done within the ambit of law.

“Broadcasters are also required to handle live political rallies with care and due professionalism. This is in addition to studio-based live political interviews/broadcasts. Because of the sensitivities of such programmes, broadcasters are advised to install delay mechanisms.

“Remember that broadcast stations are held responsible for any breach. The stations shall, therefore, assume and accept editorial responsibility”, he added.

Continue Reading

News

IPOB Accuses Police Of Blackmail

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has reacted to a statement credited to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, linking ESN and IPOB to a planned attack on political campaigns and the forthcoming 2023 elections.

Director of Media and Public Relations of the group, Comrade Emma Powerful, in a statement on Monday, said the IG of Police should “leave IPOB volunteers and ESN Operatives alone to focus on things that matter instead of trying to get them involved in Nigeria Government and its fraudulent political processes.”

He also added that Nigeria’s security agencies were fond of blackmailing the organization with allegations of sundry crimes.

The statement read: “If Nigeria Police have concluded their plans to commit crimes during political campaigns and tag it on IPOB and ESN they will fail as usual.

“Any time Nigeria Security Agencies raise a false alarm, know that they have planned attacks to blackmail IPOB and ESN Operatives but we cannot allow them to continue their business of blackmail.

“These Security agencies have allegedly killed innocent people in an effort to blackmail IPOB but Chukwu Okike Abiama (God) has always vindicated us,” they said.

“We have always maintained that we are not interested in anything that has to do with Nigeria let alone taking any side in their fraudulent political process. IPOB are not Zoo politicians. The only political process that IPOB will participate in is an UN-supervised Biafra Referendum that will usher in Biafra Sovereignty and Independence”, he added.

 

Continue Reading

News

ASUU: F.G Makes U-turn, Withdraws Circular Ordering Resumption

The Federal Government on Monday withdrew its earlier circular which directed vice chancellors, pro-chancellors and governing councils to re-open federal universities.

This is coming hours after the government, through the National Universities Commission (NUC), directed the opening of varsities in compliance with National Industrial Court order.

A circular tagged NUC/ES/138/Vol.64/135 was addressed to all vice chancellors, pro-chancellors and chairmen of governing councils of federal universities ordering them to re-open universities.

Hours after, in another circular tagged NUC/ES/138/Vol.64/136, which was also signed by the Director, Finance and Account of the NUC, Sam Onazi, the commission withdrew the order.

The letter tagged, “withdrawal of circular NUC/ES/138/Vol.64/135 dated September 23, 2022” partly read, “I have been directed to withdraw the NUC Circular Ref: NUC/ES/138/Vol.64/135, and dated September 23, 2022 on the above subject.

“Consequently, the said circular stands withdrawn. All pro-chancellors and chairmen of governing councils, as well as vice-chancellors of federal universities are to please note. Further development and information would be communicated to all relevant stakeholders.

“Please accept the assurances of the Executive Secretary’s warmest regards.”

The university teachers began a one-month warning strike on February 14, 2022, and extended it thrice after the Federal Government failed to meet up with its demands.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending