Connect with us

News

No 10 defends Boris Johnson’s holiday in Spain amid energy crisis

Spain

No 10 defends Boris Johnson’s holiday in Spain amid energy crisis

No 10 has defended Boris Johnson’s decision to take a holiday in Spain this week during the energy and supply chain crisis, but struggled to explain why all MPs have been given the week off from parliament even though party conference season is over.

The prime minister is staying at a Spanish villa linked to Zac Goldsmith, the wealthy Tory peer and environment minister, who is close friends with Carrie Johnson.

No 10 refused to confirm that Goldsmith was covering the cost of the holiday in Marbella or say how the prime minister had travelled to Spain with his family.

His spokesperson insisted Johnson remained in charge with no need for Dominic Raab, the deputy prime minister, to stand in for him.

“I think everyone understands it’s right individuals are able to take a break at a suitable time,” he said, but he refused to say for how long the holiday had been in the prime minister’s diary.

The spokesperson said Johnson had taken a call from the Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, and was being updated on the work to address supply chain problems and high energy prices.

“The prime minister continues to be in charge as is always the case,” he said. “He is in regular contact with ministers and No 10. He is also continuing to take calls, particularly in the run-up to Cop26.”

Asked about who was funding the holiday, Johnson’s spokesperson said: “Any declarations that need to be made will be made in the normal way, but I don’t have anything to add to that. I wouldn’t get into anything on location for security reasons.”

Johnson last went on holiday in August to the West Country but his break was cut short by the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan, with the prime minister returning to London after one day.

Asked about the unusual week off for MPs after the Tory party conference, a Conservative source said the three-week conference recess had been agreed by MPs before they went on their summer break.

However, there appeared to be no purpose to it because the Lib Dem and SNP conferences took place earlier in September, while the House of Commons was still sitting.

Parliament usually goes into a three-week recess for party conference season, covering the Lib Dem, Labour and Tory events. However, this year it sat during the Lib Dem conference – which was online only – and then carried on with an extra week of recess after last week’s Tory party conference.

MPs were back for three weeks after their extended summer break and they will sit for only another three weeks before another recess in November.

Earlier, Damian Hinds, the security minister, defended Johnson’s decision to go on holiday to Spain on Sky News.

“When is the right time? I think it is important that people do have an opportunity to be with their families to have some relaxing, unwinding,” he said. “But I wouldn’t want to overstate the amount of unwinding and relaxing you get to do as prime minister because, as I say, you are constantly in touch, you are constantly being briefed and you remain in charge of the government.

“What is important for the rest of us actually, for the whole country, is that the prime minister does get to have some family time, does get to have a break.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

13 + 7 =

News

NSCDC To Deploy 30,000 Officers For 2023 Elections

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has disclosed that it will deploy 30,000 operatives to ensure peace during the upcoming general elections in Nigeria.

This was disclosed by the Commandant- General of the NSCDC, Dr Ahmed Audi at the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum in Abuja on Sunday,

He said the operatives would be deployed nationwide to maintain peace.

He said the NSCDC has perfected plans to deploy all resources needed to provide security during the election.

“The corps is poised fairly, and ready to apply all the arsenals needed to provide security and safety for the elections.

“We have an operations department of over 30,000 personnel but then we will also deploy others when the time comes.

“Normally we have the bulk of our people in operations and those who are in operations partake in election processes,” he said.

Audi said that the corps had also perfected plans to begin seminars and workshops in October to discuss the preparedness of the organization towards the general elections.

“We want to tell our people that if you go and involve yourself by becoming partisan you are on your own.

“There are certain things we have introduced in our Standard Operating Procedure — that once you go partisan and you are caught, you will face sanctions and you are on your own.

“So we are ready to partake in the election like I said because we are apolitical and we are going to provide a level-playing field for all citizens to be involved in the elections and exercise their franchise.”

Audi said that the NSCDC partook in election activities because it’s a member of the Inter-agency, Consultative Committee on Election Security.

Continue Reading

News

NSIA Not Stakeholder In Nigeria Air- F.G

Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, has declared that the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) is not an investor in the Nigeria Air project.

Sirika made the clarification in a statement issued by James Odaudu, his special assistant on public affairs, on Saturday.

The minister had listed NSIA as part of the local investors with stakes in the national carrier.

He said the NSIA is not part of the private equity ownership of the airline, adding that the error was made during his media briefing.

“We wish to clarify that the Authority (NSIA) is not part of the private equity ownership of the airline, being a government establishment,” Sirika said.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the equity ownership structure of Nigeria Air stands as Ethiopian Airlines 49%, Nigerian private investors (SAHCO, MRS and other institutional investors) 46% and the Federal Government 5%.

“The public, especially the business community and the media, should please note”, the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerians Not Ripe Enough To Bear Arms- NSCDC

Nigerians are not ripe to be allowed to bear arms.

This is according to the Commandant General of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, Dr Ahmed Audi who made the observation when he attended the News Agency of Nigeria Forum in Abuja.

“I strongly disapproved of it. Even now that there is no law in existence, you still have proliferation of small arms and light weapons in the hands of people.

“It has to do with civilisation and education.

“Even in Europe and America where they have that law where virtually everybody once you can drive can have arms, they are trying to control it now because of how some events unfold.

“In the world, especially in Europe and America, somebody will just wake up and just go to a school and open fire on kids. You know that is madness.

“And so for me, I don’t think we are there yet to allow citizens carry arms” , he said.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending