Connect with us

Education

No Candidate Missed Exam In Enugu, Says WAEC

Sit-at-home: No candidate missed exam in Enugu, says WAEC

The West Africa Examination Council has said that no candidate in Enugu state missed its ongoing examination in spite of the IPOB-declared Mondays’ sit-at-home order.

The Deputy Registrar/Zonal Coordinator, WAEC, Mrs Eucharia Onodu disclosed this on Tuesday in an interview with NAN in Enugu.

Onodu said the sit-at-home order only affected the students emotionally, as many of them had to sleep over in their schools to be able to meet up.

According to her, some had to trek long distances, while others squatted with those in the hostels to be able to write the examination

This, she said, might not be comfortable for them, adding that some had to also wake early to meet up.

“I am aware some made extra effort, while others went to a lot of stress to write this exam and on our own part, we did not compromise the protocols put in place.

“We still had the exams as scheduled on the timetable and I am happy that at the end they all made it.

“I do not think somebody missed the exam because of the sit-at-home order,” Onodu said.

The coordinator further said that before the commencement of the examination they held a stakeholders meeting with the Ministry of Education and the commissioner in charge of the Ministry on how to secure centres for the exam.

She said the commissioner later reached out to the community leaders who assured WAEC of using local vigilante to secure the centres.

“We really felt their presence at the various centres across the state and I am glad to announce that no community has reported any attack so far.

“And on our own, we used the regular police to secure materials,” she said.

Onodu expressed satisfaction with the security situation put in place while expressing her optimism that candidates would perform better in 2021, as they were taught very well unlike in 2020 when they were only taught virtually.

“They had lessons and ought to have covered the syllabus more than last year,” she said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

JAMB unveils highest scorers in 2024 UTME

The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) on Thursday unveiled the candidates who scored the highest marks in the 2024 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

Professor Ishaq Oloyede, the Registrar of JAMB Registrar revealed 13 students who scored the highest marks in the 2024 UTME out of the 400 attainable before stakeholders including Mamman Tahir, the Minister of Education, Vice Chancellors, Rectors, Provost and others at the 2024 Policy Meeting on Admissions into Tertiary Institutions in Abuja.

The meeting was put in place to determine the modality and guidelines for admissions into tertiary institutions for the 2025 academic session.

Premium Times reported that from the list unveiled by Oloyede, three candidates scored 367 marks, the highest score by the participants in the examination.

He added that only 8,401, representing 0.5 per cent of candidates, scored above 300 in the examination while 77,070 others representing 4.2 per cent, scored 250 and above and that 439,974, representing 24 per cent, scored 200 and above.

See the top scorers in 2024 UTME and their scores

Olowu Joseph Oluwasijibomi – 367

Alayande David – 367

Orukpe Joel Ehijele – 367

Emmanuel Jeremiah Jewel -365

Essiet Etini Joshua -365

Ezenwoko Zara Valerie -365

Umoh Joshua Augustine -365

Mamudu Abdulrahman -364

Adeleke Abdulbasit Adekunle -363

Echem Victor Prosper -363

Etute Emmanuel Ehihomen -363

Keke Jedidiah Chidiebube -363

Adesanya Daniel Oluwatimileyin -363

Continue Reading

Education

Successful student starting fresh session to be credited nextweek- NELFUND

Students of tertiary institutions who have successfully applied for the Federal Government’s loan scheme and are beginning new academic sessions will start receiving credit alerts from next week, the NELFUND Managing Director Akintunde Sawyerr says.

He made this announcement on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Wednesday.

“The people who are going to first receive alerts as early as next week are the people who are about to start a new session in the institution they are in,” Sawyerr said.

He added that other successful applicants will receive their credit alerts upon the commencement of academic sessions in their respective institutions.

Sawyerr’s comments followed the launch of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) by President Bola Tinubu at the State House in Abuja.

According to Sawyerr, 170,000 applicants from universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education have accounts with NELFUND, and 110,000 of these applicants have completed the process.

The NELFUND Managing Director explained that there are two types of beneficiaries: the institutions, which will receive payments on behalf of those who have successfully applied, and the students themselves, who will receive a monthly stipend.

Sawyerr emphasized that the programme aims to provide Nigeria with “better leadership in the future and improve the socio-economic situation of the country.”

“To be precise, about 110,000 students have successfully applied. They’ve put in their applications and verified as being bona fide and eligible applicants. But we’ll still carry out further verification to make sure they are well-qualified to receive these loans. But over 110,000 are likely to begin to receive disbursement from next week,” he said.

“It’s one thing to get approval for the loan, it’s another thing to begin to receive value. This loan is for those who are going to be starting institutions afresh or those who are already there.”

Sawyerr said each of the applicants must have Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) numbers, matric numbers, Bank Verification Numbers (BVN), and National Identification Numbers (NIN), among other requirements.

“Current exposure to students is about N35bn. We’ve got much more than that sitting in our accounts that we can disburse, and we’ve also got some funding on the way. Remember, we are getting 1% of Federal Inland Revenue Service taxes and we also can receive funding from other sources,” the NELFUND boss explained.

Continue Reading

Education

FG to enforce 18yrs minimum entry age into tertiary institutions

The Federal Government has directed that admission to tertiary institutions should not be given to candidates under 18 years old.

The Minister of Education, Mister Tahir Mamman, gave the directive in Abuja on Thursday at the 2024 Policy meeting of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

Although the announcement elicited mixed reactions from vice-chancellors, rectors and registrars present at the meeting, the minister decried the activities of some parents, who are pressuring their underage wards to get admission into tertiary institutions.

The minister said that the 18-year benchmark is in line with the 6-3-3-4 system of education.

“JAMB is hereby instructed from admission this year to admit only eligible students. That is those who have attained 18 years by our laws,” the minister.

He insisted that his position was backed by Nigeria’s law guiding admissions into tertiary institutions. He said it shouldn’t require a statement from him for that to be taken into consideration by admission bodies.

“Our laws require students to be in school from six years – Yes, there are those who do that from five –  and remain in primary school for six years, basic education for three years, and secondary school for three years… It doesn’t require a statement of the minister… we are only restating what is in the law,” he added.

Professor Mamman added that for those who will not be able to gain admission into tertiary institutions, the Ministry of Education is taking skills to pupils from primary school.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending