Sports
Xabi Alonso Returns to Premier League as Chelsea Boss
Chelsea FC have appointed Xabi Alonso as the club’s new manager on a four-year contract.
The 44-year-old Spaniard will officially begin work at the west London club on July 1 following the end of the season.
Alonso had been out of work since being dismissed by Real Madrid CF in January after half a season in charge at the Bernabéu.
“Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in world football and it fills me with immense pride to become manager of this great club,” Alonso said in a statement.
“From my conversations with the ownership group and sporting leadership, it is clear we share the same ambition. We want to build a team capable of competing consistently at the highest level and fighting for trophies.”
Chelsea’s appointment of Alonso follows a turbulent campaign marked by the departures of former managers Enzo Maresca and Liam Rosenior.
The club also considered Andoni Iraola and Marco Silva before making Alonso their top target.
“There is great talent in the squad and huge potential at this football club and it will be my great honour to lead it,” Alonso added.
“Now the focus is on hard work, building the right culture and winning trophies.”
Alonso emerged as one of Europe’s most highly rated young coaches after guiding Bayer 04 Leverkusen to an unbeaten Bundesliga title in 2024.
The former Liverpool FC, FC Bayern Munich and Real Madrid midfielder now faces the challenge of returning Chelsea to the UEFA Champions League after the club failed to qualify 3 times in the last 4 years.
Chelsea said Alonso’s appointment reflected “the club’s belief in his broad set of experiences, coaching quality and game model, leadership attributes, character and integrity”.
The club added: “Chelsea Football Club looks forward with confidence to the next phase in collaboration with Xabi, united in the determination to bring success to Stamford Bridge, a hallmark of the club’s history and future.”
